Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Eggs My Way

Nutritionally, eggs are among the most complete foods.  They are also relatively inexpensive, which makes them an excellent choice for a weight reduction food plan and college students.  They are also are quick to prepare and delicious when prepared well. 

This recipe began one morning several years ago when I was going through a period of rigid dietary restrictions.  Frustrated by the number of foods I couldn’t eat, I began experimenting with the few I could.  And, so began the dish I now call “Eggs My Way.”  This became one of my father’s favorite breakfasts.  He liked it served with a cup of strong tea, and a side of homemade bread toasted, thickly spread with butter and honey or jam (or both!).

Tonight while chatting with Bella (who was making an omelette for dinner) I decided that it was time to make Eggs My Way.  This is another dish I’ve promised her repeatedly to blog.  The longer summer night meant it was still light and the perfect time to pull out my pad and camera and fulfill this promise.  So, here is the long awaited recipe for Eggs My Way.

Notes for this recipe:  Cheese: experimentation proved that cheddar works best.  I prefer Vermont cheddar, the sharper the better.  Skillets:  Any skillet that has a flat bottom, holds the heat well, and produces even browning will work.  Cast iron is my skillet of choice.  As this “omelette” must be flipped whole, do not use a skillet larger than 8 or 8-1/2 inches.  This “omelette” serves one person.  If you wish to make two “omelettes”, use two skillets or put a plate in a 170 degree oven to hold the cooked one while you prepare the next.

Eggs My Way
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
½ Tbsp. olive oil
3 large eggs
½ Tbsp. water
White pepper
Kosher salt
½ c. cubed extra sharp Vermont cheddar cheese

Select a No. 5 cast iron skillet or an 8” to 8-1/2” skillet and set it on the stove top.  Turn the burner to medium.  Add the butter and olive oil.  While the pan is coming to temperature, crack the eggs into a bowl, add the water, a good grind of white pepper, and a pinch of Kosher salt.  Beat the with a fork until mixed well. 

When the butter and oil are melted tilt the pan to swirl them evenly around the surface.  When the fats are bubbling hot, but not browned, and sizzle when a flick of water is dropped on them, pour the eggs into the skillet.  The eggs should sizzle when they hit the surface of the skillet, and the edges will begin to brown immediately


Sprinkle the cubed cheddar evenly over the surface of the eggs. 





When the bottom of the eggs are nicely browned, use a spatula to flip the entire “omelette” over.   





Cook until this side is also nicely browned.  Using the spatula transfer the “omelette” to plate and serve immediately or keep warm in the oven while you prepare another one or finish any side dishes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment