Monday, November 9, 2009

A Personal Favorite
















Nothing says Thanksgiving like Pumpkin Pie. It is a personal favorite. So much so that as a kid, it was what I asked for every year as my “birthday cake.” My mother would have made me anything I wanted, but I think she was always silently relieved that I requested Pumpkin Pie. My birthday usually coincides with Thanksgiving, which meant that Mom could just bake an extra Pumpkin Pie.

Pumpkin Pie is one of the easiest pies to make. A little measuring and stirring, and voila!, it's done. Pumpkin puree is the foundation of the pie. Canned works fine, but home made is even better. (See my earlier post “First, You Select A Pumpkin.”)

Pumpkin Pie
1 unbaked 9” pie crust
2-1/2 c. pumpkin puree
¾ c. dark brown sugar
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
¼ tsp. cloves
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 12 oz. can evaporated milk

Preheat the oven to 425. Line a regular pie plate with the crust. Crimp edges so they stand up tall and set aside. Measure the pumpkin puree into a bowl. Stir in the spices. Add the eggs and mix to combine. Pour in the evaporated milk and mix with a whisk until well combined. Pour into the prepared pie plate. Carefully transfer the pie to the preheated oven.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle of the pie comes out clean.

Remove the pie to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm with schlag (whipped cream) or cover the pie and refrigerate until needed, and still serve with schlag! The pie can be made one day in advance.

Makes 1 9” pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment